Today's cars, light trucks, and sport-utility vehicles are high-tech marvels with digital dashboards, oxygen sensors, electronic computers, unibody construction, and more. They run better, longer, and more efficiently than models of years past.
But when it comes to repairs, some things stay the same. The following tips should help you along the way:
Do your homework before taking your vehicle in for repairs or service.
- Read the owner's manual to learn about the vehicle's systems and components.
- Follow the recommended service schedules.
- Keep a log of all repairs and service.
When you think about it, you know your car better than anyone else. You drive it every day and know how it feels and sounds when everything is right. So don't ignore its warning signals.
Use all of your senses to inspect your car frequently. Check for:
- Unusual sounds, odors, drips, leaks, smoke, warning lights, gauge readings.
- Changes in acceleration, engine performance, gas mileage, fluid levels.
- Worn tires, belts, hoses.
- Problems in handling, braking, steering, vibrations.
- Note when the problem occurs.
- Is it constant or periodic?
- When the vehicle is cold or after the engine has warmed up?
- At all speeds? Only under acceleration? During braking? When shifting?
- When did the problem first start?
Once you are at our location, communicate your findings.
- Be prepared to describe the symptoms.
- Carry a written list of the symptoms that you can give us.
- Resist the temptation to suggest a specific course of repair. Just as you would with your physician, tell us where it hurts and how long it's been that way, but let the technician diagnose and recommend a remedy.
Stay involved. . . Ask questions.
- Ask as many questions as needed to fully understand your repair. Ask for laymen terms if needed.
- Don't rush the technician to make an on-the-spot diagnosis. You may ask to be called and apprised of the problem, course of action, and costs before work begins.
- Before you leave, be sure you understand all shop policies regarding labor rates, guarantees, and acceptable methods of payment.
- Leave a telephone number where you can be called.
What our clients are saying about us
We have established longterm and stable partnerships with various clients thanks to our excellence in solving their automotive needs!
This is our first time posting an online review, but it couldn't be for a more deserving business with such exceptional employees. Fisher Transmission and Steve are a true class act! If there would be an option for 100 stars it wouldn't be enough to recognize their outstanding service, caring and competence. We were with our whole family in our RV on the 280, far from home, when smoke billowed out from the undercarriage late Thursday night. We waited until Friday morning and contacted a mechanic which had high online ratings who although was unable to handle a 35 foot Motorhome highly recommended we get towed to Fisher Transmission, saying as we found out for ourselves, they are truly top of the line. The heavy duty tow truck driver said the same when towing us - and oh were they correct! Upon arriving, Steve came out with cold water bottles - unasked - understanding we were stuck at the side of the road for many hours, and although he was booked solid, took from his own lunch break time to see if he can help us get back on the road. His demeanor, both humble and professional, with such calmness - was so remarkable and reassuring during the stressful experience. When he realized that our transmission would not be able to be repaired in time for our weekend trip to continue as planned, he generously offered us to leave our Motorhome in the lot over the weekend and rent a vehicle locally so we could join our friends for our weekend trip. Although the experience was definitely traumatic, meeting such exceptional people like Steve, made for the most wonderful memories. If you would like to speak to us personally please reach out to Steve - we gave him permission to give out our number - it's the least we can do to recognize such an extraordinary establishment staffed by such exceptional people.
This shop is knowledable and stands by its work. Very reliable. Other mechanics know them as experts in their field.